Stacked Salade Nicoise
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Nicoise olives, drained (may substitute kalamata)
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 3 (3-ounce) tuna steaks
- Fresh young green beans
- 4 (1-inch) slices French bread baguette
- Olive oil
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- Baby greens
- Chopped green onions or chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the vinaigrette, blend all vinaigrette ingredients except olive oil. When blended, whisk in olive oil.
Boil and drain potatoes. While still warm, add mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and salt and pepper to taste.
Roughly chop olives. Add 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
Dice red peppers. Add 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
Salt and pepper tuna steaks. Drizzle each steak with 2-3 tablespoons vinaigrette and then grill.
Lightly blanch green beans. Drizzle on a little olive oil and then grill briefly to get a smoky flavor. Salt and pepper.
Grill baguette slices. Rub surface of grilled bread with the skin of a lemon. Drizzle bread with olive oil.
To assemble: In a 3-inch ring mold (at least 2 1/2-inches tall) on serving plate, place a tomato slice.
On top of that, place 1/4 of the potatoes, followed by 1/4 of the red peppers, several slices of egg and then 1/4 of the olives. Remove the ring mold. Place tuna steak on top of olives.
Place green beans and baby greens on the plate and drizzle both with vinaigrette. Drizzle tuna with olive oil. Place a slice of lemon bruschetta (grilled bread) on plate. Garnish plate with green onions or parsley.
Dish can be made a day ahead and assembled before serving.